At Sierra Smiles, we take a conservative approach to dentistry and treat damaged teeth with the least amount of dental work possible. But, in some cases, a tooth needs a little extra TLC to restore its strength and appearance. When a simple filling isn’t enough, we use dental crowns in Pasadena to repair damage and save your tooth so you can continue using it for many years to come. If you think you could benefit from a dental crown, call us today so we can create the perfect treatment plan for you!
WHAT IS A DENTAL CROWN?
Sometimes called a “cap,” a dental crown can be made of various materials, including porcelain, ceramic, gold, and zirconia. Dental crowns fit snugly over existing teeth to cover the entire portion that you see above the gumline (called the crown of the tooth).
These restorations replace damaged tooth structure and bring back the strength, shape, and appearance of a tooth. After we’ve talked about your needs and cosmetic goals, we’ll recommend the best material for your crown. For tooth-colored restorations, we’ll make sure it matches your existing shade perfectly.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A DENTAL CROWN?
Patients of all ages can benefit from dental crowns when they have badly damaged teeth in need of repair. To recommend the best treatment, we’ll start by seeing how much healthy tooth structure remains. We can usually fix relatively minor damage with a dental filling.
However, if more of a tooth has been destroyed, it’s usually too weak to support a simple filling. In these cases, a dental crown will completely cover the tooth to give it the strength it needs to function. Here are some common types of damage that can be treated with a crown:
- Large cavities – When a cavity has destroyed over half of a tooth’s original structure, it’s too weak to support a filling.
- Chips or breaks – Chips and breaks can occur for many reasons, including strong chewing, clenching, or grinding forces.
- Extensive dental work – When a tooth has already had multiple fillings, there may not be enough original tooth structure left to put another filling in.
- Dental implant – A single dental implant is completed with a dental crown.
WHICH SOLUTION IS RIGHT FOR ME?
During a special consultation at our dental office in Pasadena, TX, our team will complete a full oral health exam and make a personalized treatment recommendation based on the results. If you have any questions about what we’re recommending, don’t hesitate to let us know. We want you to have a full understanding of how we can help you before you agree to anything, whether we’re treating you with a simple crown and bridge or some other service.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS?
When a tooth can no longer function normally, there are two options: repair it or have it extracted. Every tooth is important to your oral health, so we encourage everyone to save their teeth whenever possible.
In addition to avoiding an extraction, here are some additional benefits of a dental crown in Pasadena:
- Longevity – With good oral hygiene habits and regular checkups, a crown can last 10-20 years.
- Strength – The materials used for crowns vary in several ways, but one quality they all share is strength. While you’ll want to avoid chewing on hard candies and ice, you ‘ll be able to eat a variety of hard and crunchy foods without worry.
- Appearance – In addition to providing strength, a crown will also help your smile look its best.